Bea goes to India 2006

A place to house periodic comments from Bea while she backpacks her way through India and Nepal.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

London, in transit

cold -- very poor choice of clothes. humid and windy and cuts to the bone. guess I should have thought about the layover in addition to looking at the 80-degrees and sunny forecast for Delhi.

My checked bag that I agonized over its contents has gone missing. Hopefully to arrive on a subsequent flight TODAY so that it can continue with me. It was only 3 lbs over the requested UK-India limit, and 3 below the US-UK restriction. I could certainly use my fleece, my gloves, my long underwear... surely that is 3 lbs worth!!!! I had to laugh -- so attached to THINGS we are -- the worst-case scenario I'd be without it for a few days... or have to replace it... do I even remember the stuff I finally included?

I was surprised at the SLC gate by a friend who works for Delta... devouring my book of choice and thinking I was anonomous in the universe. It reminded me of one of the many lessons/reminders I expect to have on this experience... so often I think I'm alone, but there are a raft of people that are interested and that care and will give me a hug and wish me a safe trip and ask me if I'm frightened [yes, I am... but excited too... think it is a reasonable combination]

Have kept myself awake most of the day -- walking around and visiting the national portrait gallery. Close to thinking it is time to catch the tube back to the airport and then shuttle to my hotel... a hot bath and a cup of tea sounds like just the ticket! 6am shuttle in the morning, back to Heathrow...

grins, b