Bea goes to India 2006

A place to house periodic comments from Bea while she backpacks her way through India and Nepal.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Agra, day two

We got up early and watched the sun rise over the Taj... will go back that general direction to watch the sun set. when you see it up close, you realize what a truly stunning amount of skilled labor went into the flowers and Koran script which is marbled over interior and exterior of the mausoleum

Did you know that their remains are not actually on the main level? The Taj has a basement level, also of marble, but not white... it is not open to the public.

I'm here at the internet cafe to have a look at accommodations in Pushkar. I will be calling tomorrow to make the booking... I also thought I would have a look for a rail system map -- look to see if there is a train that would take a subset of us to Amritsar for the weekend [no, not wandering off on my own... and yes,at least one gentleman will be going... not sure who else, but more to follow]

One of the funniest bits is the cutout of a face that David brought -- a friend of his father's who has never been out of England; they keep a web site of his face attached to bodies all over the planet.... We all thought it was great fun, and plan to have this face in every possible situation [similar to the roaming gnome, although when I mentioned it they looked at me as if I had 3 heads]

Tomorrow we leave early for Jaipur -- our first experience with a sleeper train... traveling 6am to noon